Let’s celebrate #IDAHOBIT2022
Today marks the International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia, Lesbophobia & Transphobia. It’s commonly shared as #IDAHOBIT and it aims to raise awareness of anti-LGBTQ+ hate and to drive positive change.
Whilst having a day such as this is a powerful agent for change, conversation and engagement, just like Safer Internet Day, we should always be vigilant to ensure inclusion, equity and equality.
You may have heard this week that Jake Daniels from Blackpool FC came out as an openly gay footballer, which in itself is a fantastic thing, but recognising that he is the first to do so in 30 years, shows how far we still have to go to achieve LGBTQ+ equality.
As part of our attempt to support and mark #IDAHOBIT2022 we asked some of the most influential and powerful voices in the UK’s LGBTQ+ education community to share some responses to two questions:
- Why is International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia an important day?
- With eight out of ten LGBTQ+ people reporting experience of online abuse, what role can education play in tackling and combatting harmful views?
- Yamina Bibi is a 2022 National Diversity Award nominated educator for being a positive role model, an Assistant Headteacher in charge of Progress and Outcomes, a WomenEd Network leader and contributor to Diverse Educators: A Manifesto. Yamina writes a blog which you can access via: https://msybeebs.wordpress.com/
- Nick Kitchener-Bentley is an English teacher, LGBTed steering group member, SSAT Lead Practitioner and PHd student.
- Adele Bates is the author of ‘Miss, I don’t give a shit’, a Behaviour and Education Specialist and keynote speaker. You can learn more about Adele on her website: https://adelebateseducation.co.uk/
- Shaun Dellenty is an internationally recognised, multi-award-winning educator and he has been included on the UK’s Pink List, designated by the Prime Minister as a ‘Point of Light’ and is the author of ‘Celebrating Difference – A Whole School Approach to LGBT+ Inclusion’. You can learn more about Shaun on his website: http://shaundellenty.com/
Hear their powerful voices and thoughts in the video below: